HOW DO I GET READY?
- Written by Los Angeles Colonoscopy
Please make sure that you have purchased 1) a bottle of Golytely or equivalent (requires prescription) and 2) two Fleets Enemas (do not require prescription) and 3) four Dulcolax tablets, prior to starting the preparation for your colonoscopy.
3. If you are taking blood thinner(s) such as coumadin, Effient, Eliquis, Lovenox, Plavix or Xarelto, you may need to discontinue these medications days before and after the examination. You should always confirm with your physician whether you need to do so with your physician. You should also inform either Dr. Choi or staff whether you routinely require antibiotic prophylaxis prior to dental procedure, as you may require antibiotic administered prior to colonoscopy.
6. Do not eat any solid food for the entire day, until the examination is completed the next day. However, it is always permissible to drink water or clear liquid, if desired.
7. Fleets Enema should be given at home (Two should be administered, particularly if the result from the first enema is not clear), before coming in for the examination.
8. Arrive 15-30 minutes before the appointment.
9. Have some one available to accompany the patient home after the examination. (It is not safe for the patient to drive home right after the examination due to the medication used during the examination.)
10. You should be able to eat regular food without any restriction after the examination unless instructed otherwise.